Thursday, July 15, 2010

Back on Track!

Last night was our first game since the embarrassing loss a week ago and we were out for redemption. The opposition was another new team to the league, though the have done signisficantly better than the others in the first four weeks of the season. (Side note: this team, El Fuego Verde (EFV), consists almost entirely of players from my outdoor team).

With our number one keeper in goal and a bench full of subs, we had put ourselves ina good position to get back in the win column. We looked to come out strong and did just that. After blowing a couple of easy chances, we were able to capitalize when a rebound from the keeper bounced directly to me at the top of the arc. I put good contact on the ball (actually it rolled down my shin and slingshotted off my foot) and the ball wound up in the goal.

At this point, we felt like this game would be a breeze and began to play a bit too nonchalantly. As a result, we conceded the equalizer just a couple minutes after our go-ahead. Shortly after their goal, I put a yellow-line free kick into the top corner of the goal, giving us the lead once again. This time we didn't let down and were able to tack on a couple more goals.

Fast forward to the second half and we found ourselves with about a five goal lead and the flexibility to play around with the ball. I took this opportunity to drop back and play defense. I won't do that again. Every time I received the ball I proceeded to play a perfect ball to the nearest EFV attacker. Our keeper got some pretty good practice during the stretch I was on defense, and after one finally got by him for a goal, I switched back to forward.

We closed out the game without incident. Aside from a couple injuries, everyone kept their cool. I was happy to not show my true colors against my outdoor teammates, and even happier to get a big win and put our team back on track.

Outdoor game on Sunday. Here's to hoping it doesn't get rained out again!

No comments:

Post a Comment