Thursday, April 15, 2010

Wednesday Night Rematch

Last night's game was a rematch of last session's championship. After going down early in that game three weeks ago, we battled back to force overtime, eventually losing after ten rounds of penalties. They are a pretty good team and, with us having only one sub, last night's game was always going to be a difficult one. With our manager's wager still on the table, we needed to win or, at the very least, get a tie out of this game...

We started out very strong. Just seconds into the game, I collected the ball around midfield and took off towards the other goal. At full speed, I cut the ball to my left and fired a strong shot past the keeper. That gave us a little confidence and we quickly jumped to 3-1 lead. Then we started to get tired. The last ten minutes of the first half were difficult. We couldn't catch our breath and one particular player on their team couldn't miss the goal. All he needed was a little space (which we continually gave him) and he dropped goals both left- and right-footed on us. Of their ten goals scored in the game, he must have had seven or eight. After our slump towards the end of the half, we were losing 7-4 at the midway point. 

After halftime, we came out a little sluggish and the other team expanded on their lead. We finally were able to re-group and show a little fight throughout the final fifteen minutes of the game. Up until this point, the game had been fairly clean. As the game appeared to be out of reach both teams got a little scrappy. We were chipping away at their lead and their ankles. One guy retaliated with a shove and found himself in the penalty box for two minutes. I stayed clear of the fouls until I chased a loose ball along the boards. With two defenders on either side of me, I felt that I got shoved to the ground, yet this whistle blew in their favor. I got mad.

Note: I am not a racist. But at the same time, I have no problem identifying others as racist in certain situations. Ten times out of ten, that situation is a soccer game and the person in question is a referee of Mexican descent. The act of racism: making a call that is not in my favor. Last night was no different.

"Maybe if I was a bit more tan, you'd have given me the call."

What is wrong with me? Although I still believe I was fouled, I do not still believe the ref was racist. I'm not sure what is so appealing about being an adult league soccer referee. Game after game, they face constant criticism laced with vulgar profanity. I don't understand why they do it, and never will.

Down three goals (though we all swear they didn't count a power play goal of ours), there was just not enough time left in the game. We lost 10-7 and the bet was off the table. We won't be getting our season fees refunded to us, but consolation can still be achieved in the form of a session championship. Season continues next Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment