Thursday, April 22, 2010

Guest Feature: Zombie Street

This is a story written by Graham. Enjoy...


Quinn and I were walking down a wooded street, the day light fading slowly.  The houses were so cold and the trees seemed to reaching for us, telling us to get away.  We were oblivious to the outside forces, continued to stroll, trying to find our way home.  A car suddenly pulled up, screeching while it tried to stop, BOOM!  It hit a tree in front of us, leaving us confused.  A man stumbled out of the car, his eyes slowly filling with a blood red.  "You ok?” Quinn mumbled.  The man moved in a fast, unsteady pace towards us.  I looked around to see what the man was trying to get to, realizing that he wanted us.  I was conflicted, do I run and hope for the best, or do I look for a weapon in self-defense?  I chose the latter, but all I could find was a stick the size of my arm with the width of a #2 pencil.  I slashed at the man, who didn't seem to be fazed by my actions.  He grabbed for my arm but Quinn was able to push him away.  "Let's get the hell outta here, brah!” I shouted.  Quinn and I ran down the street, all alone, but feeling as though we were surrounded.  We decided that we should attempt to find cover somewhere.  Looking around we saw a house that was situated down a long black driveway.  We checked to make sure we had lost the man and ran down the hill.

"Should we knock, or just try to go in?” Quinn asked.  "I don't think we have a choice", as I went to open the door.  I fell into the open hallway when the door opened with no obstruction.  When I looked up from the floor, I noticed I was laying on a red and gold runner.  On my right was a staircase leading up to a dark hallway.  To my left was a fish tank with a couple of goldfish and a tropical tree beside it.  "Anyone here!?!” Quinn shouted in a hushed tone.  Not wanting to give ourselves away to the outside world, Quinn locked the front door and closed the curtains of the window to the right of the door.  I thought aloud, "This sucks... it's like a damn movie."   "What do you think was up with that guy?" Quinn pondered.  "I think he was a zombie... no bullshittin'!”, I stated.  "A Zombie? really?  You’ve been watching too many movies.” Quinn mocked me.  The truth of the matter was, I could tell in Quinn's frightened eyes that he believed me.  We didn't know if we should check the house for the living or stay in our spot for an easy get-away.

I decided two hours into our peep hole watching to explore the house.  Not knowing how long we would be stranded in that house, I thought it would be good to know the escape routes and/or people who might be with us.  I stepped softly down the stairs, not wanting to make myself known to anyone.  The moonlight draped the basement in a soft, blue hue.  There was a door to my left and two doors to the right.  A giant window with a 5 x 5 matrix was directly in front of me.  I decided to try the doors to the right first, hoping that they would be unoccupied.  The first door was a storage room, filled mainly with boxes and piles of books.  The second door was locked; I decided that I probably should leave that room alone for now.  I turned around and looked at the door across from me; I would need to go in it.  For some reason, I didn’t have a good feeling about this door.  I put my ear to the door and listened, all I could hear was the sound of my breathing.  I put my hand on the knob and turned it….

To Be Continued

2 comments:

  1. I like this, regardless of the typos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quinn was supposed to look it over before being published, he is the editor

    ReplyDelete