Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Rumble in the Dome

I realize I've once again taken a short recess from my blog posts, but I think I may have pinpointed the problem - I'm not scoring.

Don't get me wrong, I still score goals, but not as regularly as I did a year ago - or even three months ago. At first I would say I was slumping, but in recent games my assists have outnumbered my goals greatly. Perhaps I am evolving as a player. Probably not.

Anyways, this season has been a disappointing one for ANI Direct (maybe that's the problem). We started out 0-3-0 with a goal differential of -4. With the exception of next week's game, you could call those first three games the "thick of the schedule." We have since brought our record to 2-3-0 thanks to tonight's win, which could wind up being a turning point in our season. We started the game strong, holding a 1-0 lead for most of the half (I think they equalized just before halftime) but we should have finished a few more opportunities. I had a nice assist on the goal, knocking the ball of the wall at the corner to Jason streaking through the middle and he was able to redirect it to the far post. After the contribution, I was pretty much a non-factor, in fact I was probably the reason they tied it up. After all, I did spend nine of the first twenty minutes in the penalty box. Whoops.

The second half was a different story as we were able to take control of the game and they slowly deteriorated until the ref was forced to end the game early. It started when we were up a goal and one of our players committed a foul. Their pudgy defender took offense, ran/waddled up and shoved him in the back. He promptly threw his fists up as if he expected a rumble to go down. Apparently trying to fight only merits a yellow card and two minutes in the box. If you say so, ref.

We continued to build our lead as the game got dirtier by the minute. With a group of fans (theirs) talking smack to us all game, it was only appropriate to celebrate each time we grew our lead, right? The final straw was when a perfectly timed backheel (by me) found Rich (the instigator) at the back post. He knocked the ball home for a 5-1 lead and that was it. After the restart, smack talk continued on the field until the same pudgy offender (why is he still playing?) decided to up the ante. He shoved Rich to the ground and benches were cleared. After some pushing and shoving, the game was called and we were awarded our 5-1 victory.

Trash talking continued to the other side of the building and being outnumbered about 20-9, we decided to wait for them to clear out before rushing to our cars. A wise man once told me that you shouldn't let on-field skirmishes carry into the parking lot at Inwood Soccer Center. I wasn't willing to take my chances.

Perhaps ANI Direct is back. Next week will be our big test - a must-win against a strong team if we want any hopes at a playoff berth. Until then, Go USA!

Gold Cup Quarterfinals
USA v. Jamaica
Sunday, June 19 at 3pm
Fox Soccer Channel

No comments:

Post a Comment