Thursday, February 24, 2011

Same league, New season

Last night, we kicked off the Inwood Soccer Center Spring I season. Just like the last time I checked in, we're still playing Tuesday nights - Division VI. Since my last post, we've probably played 2 or 3 seasons and I think we won a championship during that period. Can't really remember and it doesn't really matter.

Anyways, we started off the season against a much lesser opponent in the 10:30pm matchup last night. We'd only take a few weeks off in between seasons but you'd think it was a few years by the way we played.

I found myself starting on the bench (how did that happen?) and from the opening whistle our play was very flat, to put it nicely. Not one person was able to find his "touch" and passes were either way off mark or coming in at the knees. It was not pretty soccer. When I entered the game a few minutes in, I'd say the play got even worse. My first touch came after our keeper rolled a ball to me smooth as can be. Thinking I'd just give a nice little one-touch pass back to one of our defenders, I popped the ball up and over the wall out of bounds. Whoops.

After about 8 minutes of terrible soccer, we were able to get on the scoreboard when a ball bounced to be about ten yards out. I lined up a right footed volley and put a decent strike on the ball. It would have been caught easily by the keeper had it not taken a last minuted deflection into the net. I'll take it. 1-0.

Like I said earlier, the team we played was much worse than us and in the end we were able to walk away with the W, albeit in embarrassing fashion...

That's all I can bring myself to write about this game. Hopefully the play is a bit better when I make my triumphant return to outdoor soccer at 3pm Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment